Motion filed to send Sasha Fleischman case to juvenile court

Defense Attorney William DuBois speaks with the media on November 26 after filing a motion for 16-year-old Richard Thomas' case to be moved to juvenile court. Photo by James Reddick.

Defense Attorney William DuBois speaks with the media on November 26 after filing a motion for 16-year-old Richard Thomas' case to be moved to juvenile court. Photo by James Reddick.

Defense Attorney William DuBois filed a motion Tuesday in Alameda County Superior Court asking that the alleged bus torching case against his client Richard Thomas be moved to juvenile court, arguing his client is a “16-year-old child who made a mistake.”

Defendant Thomas saw agender youth Sasha Fleischman, 18, sleeping on the back of an AC Transit bus on November 4 and thought it would be “cute” to light his skirt on fire, according to the attorney, but “was horrified at the result.”

Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O’Malley quickly filed charges against Thomas as an adult for aggravated mayhem and felony assault, both of which carry hate crime enhancements.

The District Attorney’s decision to charge Thomas as an adult, DuBois said, is “unconstitutional” and should be left to the court’s discretion.

“It should not be independently decided by a District Attorney who has little interest in the minor’s welfare,” he said. “This minor ought to have the benefit of a court’s review rather than an independent judgment by the executive branch that he ought to be treated like an adult.”

DuBois cited the difference in the two judicial systems as one rationale for filing the motion.

“In the sense that his rehabilitation will benefit society, he’s got a better chance in juvenile court where rehabilitation is an actual goal,” DuBois said,  “instead of in adult court where punishment is the only goal.”

Although Thomas has yet to enter a plea, the defense attorney hasn’t denied the teen’s involvement in the incident. According to DuBois, security footage shows Thomas lighting Fleischman on fire. What is in question is the motivation behind the act.

DuBois said that Thomas denies telling police that homophobia was the reason for his actions, as the police report states. The attorney said he received video of the statement earlier today and has yet to review it.

Thomas is scheduled to appear in Superior Court again on December 20, when the judge may present a decision on the motion to send the case to juvenile court.

2 Comments

  1. harvey

    The case now hinges on what was Richard Thomas’s conduct prior to the attack. Notice that the conduct of the Oakland Police is not in question at this point. Well done OPD, so far.

  2. That is vvery fascinating, You are an overly skilled blogger.
    I have joijed your rss feed and sit up foor seeking
    extra of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your weeb site in my social networks

Post a comment

Oakland North welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Oakland North assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content. For concerns about comments posted to this site, please contact us at staff@oaklandnorth.net.

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

Connect with Facebook

*
*