October 19, 2009: Happy Monday!
on October 19, 2009
Happy Monday Oakland,
A couple of items to start the week:
- Last week’s torrential rain can’t hold Oakland’s foodies back! Taste of Temescal is alive and well and kicks off Tuesday night!
- Oakland’s new Police Chief, Anthony Batts, assumes command of the Oakland Police Department today. His swearing-in ceremony is set for Tuesday’s City Council Meeting.
- On Saturday, Bay Area residents gathered at the Cypress Freeway Memorial Park, in West Oakland in remembrance of the 20th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake.
- Some sad accidents on the roads this weekend: A driver was killed when his car flipped on I-580 Saturday night and some seriously reckless driving left three dead on MacArthur Boulevard.
- And on a lighter note, just in case you missed it, indie rockers converged in the middle of the Bay for the two-day Treasure Island Music Festival.
Oakland North welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Oakland North assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Oakland North is an online news service produced by students at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and covering Oakland, California. Our goals are to improve local coverage, innovate with digital media, and listen to you–about the issues that concern you and the reporting you’d like to see in your community. Please send news tips to: firstname.lastname@example.org.