November 6, 2009: Don’t know what to do this weekend?
on November 6, 2009
– It’s not just any old Friday: The second to last Art Murmur of 2009 is tonight 5-10 PM. Art and music hit the streets between 48th and 19th on Telegraph in Oakland, where you can also duck in and out of art galleries. Check out this video to see what it’s like.
– Craving a “punk band with a Celtic twist”? Check out Dropkick Murphy at the Oakland Fox Theater tonight. The Pixies, an alternative rock band around for 20 years, is also playing there this weekend, and while tix are sold out for Sunday and Monday nights, Tuesday still has seats.
– R&B more your style? The controversial artist, R. Kelly, will play at the Paramount Theater tomorrow night.
– Oakland’s own AXIS Dance Company is unlike most others – able-bodied dancers partner with others bound to wheelchairs. This Sunday you can see the show for reduced admission.
– Autumn ushers in more than cool air, red leaves and sweaters. It’s also the start of the Oscar-contender movie season. Both major studios and independent production companies premiere the films they think could win the coveted 8.5-pound Oscar statue early next year. Metacritic can guide you in the right direction.
– Fun fact: A North Oakland woman recently turned 105 and more than 200 family members are coming to town to celebrate.
Oakland North welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Oakland North assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Oakland North is an online news service produced by students at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and covering Oakland, California. Our goals are to improve local coverage, innovate with digital media, and listen to you–about the issues that concern you and the reporting you’d like to see in your community. Please send news tips to: email@example.com.