Today’s Community Cookbook: Grandma Ruby’s Chili
on December 16, 2010
This chili recipe comes to us from one of the chilliest states in the union: Minnesota. Transportation reporter Ted Trautman tells us it serves five for one dinner or one hungry (and broke) graduate student for a whole week. We’re still looking for the perfect cornbread or crusty loaf bread recipe to go with this chili. Got a great bread recipe? Send it to us and we’ll add it to our Community Cookbook? Email firstname.lastname@example.org; Subject: RECIPE.
Grandma Ruby’s Chili
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 med. to large onion (hard to overdo it)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- celery (trust your instincts)
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 or 2 cans of whole tomatoes (e.g. 1 small can, 1 large one)
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 can plain kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can hot kidney beans
- Optional: 1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
- Brown the hamburger, onion, green pepper and celery in a pan, adding salt and pepper as you cook.
- Transfer to a large pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Serve hot with any or all or none of the following toppings: sour cream, green onions, cheese. Also goes great with cornbread or a crusty loaf of sourdough or french bread!
Have a nostalgia-inducing recipe of your own to add to our Community Cookbook? Send it to email@example.com; Subject: RECIPE.
Image: There’s nothing like a hot bowl of chili on a chilly winter day. Photo courtesy flickr4jazz.
Oakland North welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Oakland North assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Oakland North is an online news service produced by students at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and covering Oakland, California. Our goals are to improve local coverage, innovate with digital media, and listen to you–about the issues that concern you and the reporting you’d like to see in your community. Please send news tips to: firstname.lastname@example.org.