October 14, 2009: Here comes the sun
on October 14, 2009
Good morning Oakland,
If you’re still drying out like we are, here are a few things to catch up with this morning:
- A new hyper-local website, Richmond Confidential, went live yesterday, part of the same initiative behind oaklandnorth.net and missionlocal.org.
- Oakland North is tweeting again, so check out our Twitter page!
- A 3.7 magnitude earthquake was reported near Sunol yesterday, so if you thought you felt the ground shaking last night at around 8:30, turns out you were not just imagining it..
- Still on earthquakes, this weekend marks the twentieth anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake. Oakland North preparing a multimedia package that will run on Saturday morning. So send us your stories!
- Five men who witnessed the shooting of Oscar Grant in January filed a federal civil rights suit against BART.
- A North Oakland woman was arrested yesterday, suspected of mistreating over two dozen cats.
- And last but not least, two fellow J-school grads, Monica Lam and Erika Trautman, will show their documentary Heart to Heart today at Merritt College at 3 p.m. The short documentary, part of the eighth Oakland International Film Festival follows the journey of a group of Oakland heart specialists to Russia, where they train local doctors to perform really complicated procedures.
Oakland North welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Oakland North assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Oakland North is an online news service produced by students at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and covering Oakland, California. Our goals are to improve local coverage, innovate with digital media, and listen to you–about the issues that concern you and the reporting you’d like to see in your community. Please send news tips to: firstname.lastname@example.org.