Mama’s Persimmon Bread
on November 20, 2010
Serina Elliott is a graduate of the Kitchen of Champions Culinary Training Program of St. Vincent de Paul. She was previously featured in a video on OaklandNorth.net about the culinary program’s Guest Chef Series and has gone on to complete her first year of culinary classes at Laney College. In another year she will be a college graduate!
Mama’s Persimmon Bread
Recipe creates two 9-inch loaves.
- 3½ cups sifted flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 to 2½ cups sugar (Using more sugar will produce a moister and sweeter bread.)
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup whiskey (any dark liquor will do)
- 2 cups persimmon puree (from about 4 squishy-soft Hachiya persimmons)
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups raisins, or diced dried fruits (such as apricots, cranberries, or dates)
- Butter 2 loaf pans. Line the bottoms with a piece of parchment paper or dust with flour and tap out any excess.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the first 5 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center then stir in the butter, eggs, liquor, persimmon puree then the nuts and raisins.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Note: Will keep for about a week, if well-wrapped, at room temperature. Can be frozen.
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Email it to email@example.com. Subject: RECIPE. Include your full name, a way to contact you and a few words about where the recipe came from.
Oakland North welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Oakland North assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Oakland North is an online news service produced by students at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and covering Oakland, California. Our goals are to improve local coverage, innovate with digital media, and listen to you–about the issues that concern you and the reporting you’d like to see in your community. Please send news tips to: firstname.lastname@example.org.