THE CURRENT PLAN FOR A NEW BAY BRIDGE
CalTrans and the Metropolitan Transit Commission plan to tear down the eastern span and replace it with a new single-anchor suspension bridge. Officials say the new design will safer during an earthquake. Donald MacDonald and his firm are leading the bridge's construction. Here, he explains the design of the new bridge, how the design was chosen and how it differs from the Golden Gate.
You can also watch a computer generated simulation of the earthquake safety features of the new bridge.
Join the discussion and post a comment on the new design below!
- Metropolitan Transit Commission - The transportation planning, coordinating and financing agency for the San Francisco Bay Area
- Caltrans - Documents regarding the retrofit project and construction of the New Bay Bridge
- Donald MacDonald Architects - The architecture firm behind the construction of the New Bay Bridge
- The Bay Area Toll Authority - The organization that is responsible for administering tolls and bridge upkeep in the Bay Area. Features live webcam images and panoramas of the Bay Bridge.
- Time Lapse Video of the Labor Day construction of the Bay Bridge.