Tension between residents and city council grew at Tuesday night’s meeting when councilmembers passed controversial resolutions including paying nearly $300,000 a year to city’s new police chief and establishing cell-site simulator which can be used by police officers. Protestors also gathered and spoke against city’s demolishing a self-organized homeless camp by force last Thursday.
Oakland’s six-month program to provide fundamental public services and housing resources at its first sanctioned homeless encampment is two-thirds complete. Yet with less than two months to go, the city is still left with lots of work to reach its goal.
Over 60 community members including artists and performers affected by the December 2, 2016 Ghost Ship fire gathered at Oakland City Hall Monday night for a special meeting of the city council to discuss tenant issues in the wake of the tragedy.
Cindy Wood spends her weeknights in a vacant apartment at the Pacifica Senior Living facility in Oakland Heights, a long commute away from her husband and children in Santa Rosa. She works as the executive director of the gated senior living community, and recently had to move into an apartment on the property after being…
O’Neil is using the training device that comes with each set of Evizo auto-injectors, which deliver a potentially life-saving dose of naloxone, a drug that counteracts the effects of opioid drugs. This includes both prescription drugs like hydromorphone, hydrocodone, and oxycodone, and street drugs like heroin and fentanyl.
A crowd of around 5,000 mourners gathered in vigil for the victims of Oakland’s Ghost Ship fire at the edge of Lake Merritt on Monday night. They held electric candles and glow sticks, and listened as friends, family and community members took turns speaking to the crowd.
Thirty-three of the 36 victims of the Oakland Ghost Ship fire have been identified and about 70 percent of the warehouse has been searched, according to Alameda County Sheriff Gregory Ahern, who warned that the process of combing through the remaining 30 percent will take time as firefighters and rescue workers face difficult conditions inside the structure.
Speaking at a late afternoon press conference near the site of Friday’s Oakland Ghost Ship fire, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf announced that the death toll has officially reached 33, and that city officials have positively identified seven of the victims. Their names will be released via the city’s website and social media feeds later on Sunday.…
As the official death toll in the Oakland Ghost Ship warehouse fire rose to 30 on Sunday afternoon, crowds gathered outside to set up small memorials and watch as authorities continued their search process inside the building. Several workers in yellow vests and hard hats could be seen carrying shovels around the building’s perimeter, and authorities…