Nana’s Famous Peanut Butter Chews
on November 20, 2010
This recipe was submitted by Chef Michael Stamm, the Executive Chef Instructor for the Kitchen of Champions, a culinary training program offered by the Society of St. Vincent de Paul of Alameda County and a 3-time Olympic medal winner (Swimming, 1974).
Nana’s Famous Peanut Butter Chews with Icing
- 2/3 cup shortening (butter or margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- Combine shortening, sugar, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla. Blend at low speed.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt. Add to first mixture.
- Add oatmeal – mix well.
- Spread onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk together.
- Spread on warm chews.
- Cut chews when warm, remove from pan when cool.
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Email it to email@example.com. Subject: RECIPE. Include your full name, a way to contact you and a few words about where the recipe came from.
Oakland North is an online news service produced by students at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and covering Oakland, California. Our goals are to improve local coverage, innovate with digital media, and listen to you–about the issues that concern you and the reporting you’d like to see in your community. Please send news tips to: firstname.lastname@example.org.